Quotes

If you want to sing out, sing out, and if you want to be free, be free, cause there's a million ways to be, you know that there are.
--Cat Stevens

Monday, March 12, 2012

Knit and Crochet Design Week Day One: Sketches

I don't really consider myself a designer.  I would like to be but I don't really think that I am one yet. I have "designed" a number of crochet things, including hats, diaper covers,  a turtle shell photo prop, and a baby dress.  The problem is I never write down what I do.   I also haven't really ever thought about an item I wanted to make and deliberately designed it from start to finish.  I usually think about what I want or look at a picture and then make the item.  Sometimes I have a few false starts before I get the item I want but usually  not many.   Since I got my designated designing sketch book less than a week ago,  I have used nearly 20 of the 100 pages  (both front and back).  I have learned a lot about myself, drawing, and designing just by working in my sketchbook.
It's taken me a while to decide what I am going to be working on this week but I think I have decided.
I have seen a number of elephant hats lately and I always like the idea.  But Every single elephant I look at has something I don't like about it. On most of the the ears are shaped wrong.  Many of them have mouse ears--just simple cupped Circles.  Some I've seen have square or oval ears.  A few have peanut shaped ears but many of them look squished, out of proportion or a bit like two cinnamon buns stuck together.  Some of them have weird trunks or their trunks are either too long or too small.  Some of them have out of proportion ears and some of the just look crosseyed or maybe I am just too picky.   But I thought I'd try my hand at making an elephant hat that will satisfy picky ol' me.



Need to talk about how I wasn't really happy with this pic and did more research especially focusing on ears.  Here are some of the pics that inspired me.





After reading, looking at pictures and thinking I did some more drawing.

I am much happier with the overall shaping in this sketch.

What are you working on?  Come and join us for Crochet Knit Design Week.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, your elephant is going to be so awesome! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sketches, and the way you started with your idea first and then refined it with more research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowee, 20 pages of sketches, you are certainly thorough! Love your design so far :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute elephant! I love your sketches.

    ReplyDelete